Craving something sweet yet savory? Chicken cubes marinated and tossed in sweet and sour sauce with sesame oil dressing and roasted seeds are the best answer to your cravings. Our quick and easy Sesame Chicken recipe includes an appetizing Dingolay Gourmet Hot Sauce that replaces the regular sauce for a delightful experience.
In this article, you will get to know the quickest Sesame Chicken recipe as well as the traditional one.
About Sesame Chicken
Sesame Chicken is one of the most popular Chinese dishes in the United States. However, if you look for it in China at a restaurant, you might never find Sesame Chicken in the menu. In China, it is a well-known and loved dish but it is known as, La Zi Ji. La Zi Ji is an authentic Sichuan dish cooked with boneless chicken thighs in sesame oil and traditional Sesame Chicken Sauce.
Chinese cuisine or Asian food is liked throughout the US. Due to its popularity, inclusion of sesame seeds, and sweet and sour taste, America named it Sesame Chicken from La Zi Ji. Many variants of Sesame Chicken are available now. Chefs have introduced sesame wings and shrimps. Moreover, boneless veal has been experienced in sesame sauce as well and it has given beef a new flavor.
Easy Sesame Chicken Recipe
Ingredients for Making Sesame Chicken:
To marinate and fry the chicken, you will need:
- Chicken: boneless cubes, 500g
- Whisked eggs: 2
- Corn flour: 5 tablespoons
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Black Pepper Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Garlic paste: 1-½ teaspoon
- Paprika: 1 teaspoon
- Sesame oil: 3 tablespoons
- Original Dingolay Hot Sauce: 1-½ cup
- Vegetable oil: for frying
To make the traditional sweet and sour chicken sesame sauce, you will need:
- Honey: ¼ cup
- Soy Sauce: 1/3 cup
- Ketchup: ½ cup
- Brown sugar: 3 tablespoons
- Rice vinegar: 2 tablespoons
- Sesame oil: 3 teaspoons
- Sesame seeds: roasted, 2 tablespoons
- Cornstarch: 2 teaspoons
- Vegetable oil: 3 teaspoons
- Garlic: finely chopped, 1 teaspoon
- Green onions: finely chopped to garnish
Instructions of Making Best Sesame Chicken
|Prep time||10 minutes|
|Set time||15 minutes|
|Cook time||10 minutes|
Put the chicken chunks and add the cornmeal, in a bowl. Make sure each and every chicken piece is completely dredged in it.
In another bowl, lightly whisk the eggs, add sesame oil and all the spices mentioned above in the ingredients and mix them. Pour this batter over the chicken, mix them and let it marinate for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, take a deep pan and pour the oil to heat up. After fifteen minutes, on medium flame start frying the battered chicken. When their skin turns golden brown and crispy, dish them out.
Take another shallow pan and pour three tablespoons of vegetable oil and a generous amount of Original Dingolay Gourmet Hot Sauce, approximately 1-½ cup. Add the fried chicken and cook until the sauce thickens and the chicken has absorbed a good amount of it. Keep stirring continuously. When done, sprinkle some roasted sesame seeds and green onions. For an additional rich flavor pour one teaspoon of sesame oil as dressing and cover it with a lid. After two to three minutes, serve it hot with pasta, boiled or seasoned rice, french fries, or sautéed vegetables. Moreover, it is highly customizable and can replace the chicken in the pita bread or in wraps as well.
*Dingolay Gourmet Hot Sauces have significantly made our fast-paced life, effortless. We do not have to spend hours in the kitchen preparing a sauce with perfect spices and consistency. Dingolay Gourmet Hot Sauce perfectly does this job for us. Moreover, it adds a different flavor to our ever same tasting Sesame Chicken. But many of you might want to cook it in its traditional honey sauce, and we have you covered.
|Prep time||5 minutes|
|Cook time||10 minutes|
Traditional Sesame Chicken Sauce
Mix honey, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, and rice vinegar in a bowl. In a shallow pan, pour vegetable oil, sauté the finely chopped garlic and add the prepared mixed honey sauce. As the brown sugar melts and the sauce begins to thicken, simmer it for 3 to 4 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the cornstarch in rice vinegar and add it to the honey sauce. Whisk continuously, or the lumps may start to form. This cornstarch mixture shall thicken the sauce more, so as the cornstarch begins to rise, cook it for a few minutes and add the sesame oil. So the sauce may absorb it and deliver you the perfect desired taste.
Turn off the heat, add the crispy fried sesame chicken, garnish it with green onions and sesame seeds. Cover it with a lid. After two to three minutes, serve it with a side dish.
This sesame chicken recipe is highly customizable, mainly because it can be served with a variety of foods at a hi-tea, dinner party or brunch. A few of the ideas are:
- You can add vegetables in this recipe. For instance, you can add capsicums, olives, mushrooms, or onions for an exquisite taste. Sauté the vegetables first and then pour the cornstarch. If you are adding vegetables, keep in consideration the consistency of the sauce. Adding the vegetables shall also increase its nutritious value.
- You can also serve sautéed vegetables separately. For instance, if paired with sautéed corn, broccoli, avocado, and pickled carrots, it will enhance its taste as well as nutrition.
- You can also replace this mouthwatering chicken with a regular chicken patty. In fact, you can add it in a tortilla wrap or pita bread. This way, you can have another dish to yourself, and you will not have to make the white sauce. It can be served with Dingolay Hot Sauce as a dip and French Fries.
- If you do not cook it in the sauce and add sesame oil while marinating and frying it the same way, you can replace it with your regular nuggets as well.
Storage Options of Sesame Chicken
You can refrigerate the sesame chicken and sesame sauce for up to one month. A few of the precautions and storage options are as follows:
- Do not add this fried chicken to the sauce if you are planning to freeze it. Always freeze them separately. Moreover, try to freeze the marinated chicken and not the fried one, because when de-frosted, it may lose its crispiness.
- If you have cooked sesame chicken, you can always refrigerate it. However, make sure you consume it within 3 to 4 days or it will stop tasting the same and may rot.
Hot Sauce Options
Dingolay Gourmet Hot Sauces are perfect for you to pair with your usual, everyday meals. They bring an exquisite flavor and are incredibly healthy for you. They are made with natural, ripe Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Peppers, garlic-infused carrots, native Jamaican spices, and herbs, exclusively chosen for three different flavored sauces. These are spicy, sweet and sour, hot sauces that are used as marinade or dip and help you to replace the traditional sauces while cooking.
The Original Dingolay Gourmet Hot Sauce adds the unique spices that your everyday meal usually lacks. On the other hand, Mango Dingolay Tropical Hot Sauce and Pineapple Dingolay Tropical Hot Sauce are perfect for you to mix with any food and bring it another dimension. These three sauces are one of the most versatile and customizable hot sauces and can be served as a dip with Sesame Chicken.
Sesame Chicken can be cooked and marinated in Dingolay Hot Sauces. In our chef’s opinion, you should cook the Sesame Chicken in Original Dingolay Hot Sauce. In order to keep the original sweet and sour taste alive, use the Pineapple or Mango Dingolay Hot Sauce as dip or marinade.